Mothers today are pulling “double-duty”, putting their time and energy into a day job only to come home to put more time and energy into their kids. At the end of the day, they find there is very little time left for themselves.
How can a mother accomplish self-care? Here are ten ideas to get you started:
- Schedule It – All the important stuff gets written down – doctor’s appointments, work hours, kid’s extracurriculars, etc. Self-care is important too. Make time for it by adding it to your schedule.
- Exercise – This is important not only for fitness, but to relieve stress, boost immunity, and improve mood. You don’t need hours of time at the gym. Take a walk over your lunch break. Play outside with the kids. Stream a 10 or 15 minute workout video. Carry sneakers and a change of clothes with you so you’re always prepared.
- Stop – Take 10, 15, or 30 minutes of your day to stop, sit still, and bask in some alone time. Enjoy a bubble bath. Savor a cup of hot tea. Indulge in yoga or meditation. Give your body a chance to slow down and rest. If you can’t do it every day, do it as often as possible.
- Connect With Friends – Don’t neglect other relationships. It is important to have a support system outside of your family. Send them a quick text or email, meet up for coffee, or even have a play date. The kids can play together giving you time to talk with your friend.
- Laugh – Laughter is good medicine. Its benefits are numerous, including lowering blood pressure, boosting mood, and increasing immunity. Find a comedian on Youtube or look up humorous pins on Pinterest.
- Sleep – Sadly, sleep usually gets sacrificed to squeeze in other things. Instead, sacrifice something else so you get a good night’s rest. Strive for seven or eight hours every night. Inadequate sleep affects your health, moods, and brain function.
- Accept Help – Even the imperfect kind. It doesn’t matter if the laundry gets folded differently or the kids watch a little more TV than usual. Allowing someone to help gives you time to take care of yourself.
- Nourish Your Soul – Remember those things you enjoyed doing when you weren’t a mom? Make time for them again. Read a good book. Pick up your knitting. Write in your journal. Nurture every aspect of yourself.
- Don’t Compare – Stop comparing your “working-mom-skills” to someone else’s. Chances are, those other mom’s don’t have it all together either. Do what works for your family.
- Ignore Negativity – Don’t listen to the people who criticize. You are just as important as your spouse, your kids, your job, etc. Taking time to care for yourself will ensure you are able to care for others.
Our mission at Fit Life Tea is to inspire healthy living and happiness. We encourage all working mothers to make time for themselves to achieve those goals. How do you make time for yourself when juggling the craziness of life? Comment below!