2017 is here and that means you have a fresh start! If you are still trying to figure out your resolutions for this year, consider ditching these 10 unhealthy habits. Not only will you feel better, but you will also be more productive in the new year.
1. Being hard on yourself: It’s easy to be critical of yourself and start comparing yourself to others. Rather than focusing on what you don’t have, actively remind yourself about your successes and how you bring unique gifts to the people around you.
2. Skipping breakfast: Seriously, it’s called the most important meal of the day for a reason. When you skip breakfast you deprive your body of vital nutrients in the morning, necessary to maintain your energy. Skipping breakfast can also lead to weight gain, increased hunger, and a decrease in metabolism.
3. Constantly being on your phone/tablet: While technology is necessary for most of us to do our jobs these days, spending too much time on your phone or reading gossip on social media can not only wreak havoc on your health, but it diverts your time away from more important activities like exercising and spending time with friends and family.
4. Not sleeping enough: Getting enough sleep is critical for your body to perform at its best. Lack of sleep can lead to mood swings, weight gain, and wear on your immune system. Remember 7-9 hours of sleep per night is recommended for adults. You can also create a healthy routine by going to bed and waking up at the same time each day.
5. Not drinking enough water: Your body is comprised largely of water. Without proper hydration your body cannot function like it should. Dehydration can lead to muscle cramps, lack of focus, and weight gain, to name a few. This year, resolve to carry a water bottle with you everywhere, so that you ensure you’re staying hydrated.
6. Getting too stressed: Even though daily life comes with stress, it is important to not let it control your life. Take time each day to do something that helps alleviate your anxiety and stress. This could include going for a walk, making a cup of our Organic Sleepy Tea, or just sitting quietly and reading.
7. Forgetting to wash your face: Although you may be ready to hit the bed after a long day, never forget to wash your face. All the dirt, oils, and make-up residue can make for some horrible breakouts.
8. Eating too much sugar and processed foods: This is an especially important unhealthy habit to give up this year. Eating foods with too many preservatives and sugar can lead to heart disease, diabetes, and obesity. Looking for something tasty, without all the sugar? To beat your sugar cravings try eating fresh fruits like pineapple, kiwi, or bananas. Check out our healthy recipes!
9. Eating late at night: Another bad eating habit to ditch this year is snacking late at night. This can lead to sleep problems, weight gain, overeating, heartburn, and can even increase your risk for diabetes.
10. Not changing up your workout: Variety is key when it comes to your workouts for 2017. Changing up your workout can help spark your creativity, and fight off boredom when you start to plateau. Check out our 20 Minute Full Body Workout to mix up your routine!
Treat yourself right in 2017, and ditch these 10 unhealthy habits!