No matter how many devices we have to “make our lives easier,” we still find ourselves rushing out the door every morning with little to nothing to eat. A healthy morning meal can be quick and easy, plus give you energy, satisfy your appetite and set the stage for smart decisions all day long.
Aim for a breakfast that combines good carbs and fiber with some protein. They’ll take longer to digest and keep you feeling full longer. Here are some of our favorites:
- Oatmeal – Oats contain beta-glucan, a type of fiber that’s been shown to help lower cholesterol. Need another reason? Oats are also rich in omega-3 acids, folate and potassium. Steel-cut oats take about 15 minutes to cook, but any type of oatmeal can be healthy. Just avoid the flavored kinds, and sweeten with honey or fruit such as strawberries.
- Greek yogurt – This creamy yogurt is loaded with calcium and has nearly twice as much protein as regular yogurt. Choose a plain, non-fat version, and add some berries to give it some sweetness and flavor.
- Eggs – These incredible edibles are a healthy source of protein and nutrients. Once shunned for being high in dietary cholesterol, research now shows that the cholesterol in our food has less of an impact on blood cholesterol than originally thought.
- Cereal – choosing a healthy cereal can be tricky, but look for something with at least 5 grams of fiber and less than 5 grams of sugar. You’ll find this in whole-grain cereals such as shredded wheat. Top off your bowl with skim milk and fruit.
- Almond butter – If you don’t eat eggs or dairy, almond butter is an excellent alternate source of protein. It contains slightly less saturated fat than peanut butter and is about 100 calories per tablespoon. Spread it on whole wheat toast and pair it with a banana or apple.
- Tea – Tea has a pretty impressive list of health benefits. Because it has less caffeine than coffee, it hydrates you more effectively and it’s a rich source of the immunity-boosting antioxidants. Green tea, like our Metabolic Energy Tea, may be the healthiest of all. Research suggests that drinking five cups a day can increase your body’s metabolism and help you lose more weight around the middle.
If you never eat breakfast, try starting on the weekend when you have more time, then expand your routine to weekdays. You may be surprised how much easier your morning goes, and how much more healthfully you eat throughout the day!
Shop all the delicious Fit Life Tea blends here.