If your schedule allows you to exercise in the morning, it’s a great way to jump-start your metabolism and keep it elevated all day. While you may be tempted to sleep in, there are ways to make sure you get moving before you have time to come up with an excuse not to.
Whether you’re trying to lose weight, or just maintain a healthy lifestyle, here are 5 of the best ways we’ve found to get up and going:
- Snooze – No, don’t push the snooze button. Rather make sure you get enough sleep the night before so you’re well-rested. And put your alarm clock out of arm’s reach so you have to get out of bed to turn it off.
- Make a bet – Set a workout goal with one of your friends such as “I’m going to work out 5 days a week for 6 weeks,” and put a pre-determined amount of money into a ‘pot.’ The first person to bail, loses, and the winner gets the cash. If you both meet your goals, take the cash at the end of the bet and go out and celebrate.
- Plan ahead – Take a few minutes the night before to lay out your workout gear, charge up your iPod and get your bottles and towels ready. It’ll help get you out the door seamlessly.
- Shout it out – Make yourself accountable by posting on social media that you’re going to the gym or running or meeting your trainer in the morning, and invite your friends to meet you there. If you don’t show, you’ll hear about it on social.
- Take the “Work” Out – Make your exercise routine fun. Find a good playlist, and find a class or activity like yoga or running that you enjoy.
Getting your body accustomed to working out in the morning might take a week or so, but it’ll quickly become a routine that is well worth the effort.