Vacations are not only fun and exciting, but they have many proven health benefits as well. So this is your friendly reminder to take time off whether that be someplace exotic, or just a relaxing staycation at home.
Last year, 42% of Americans did not take any vacation days, according to a survey by the U.S. Travel Association. That’s in stark contrast to our European friends who took advantage of all or most of their 28 days of vacation.
Why Do Americans Forego Their Vacations?
Because they’re not enthusiastic about the work they’ll find on their desk when they return, and no one else can do what they do at the office, according to the survey.
“Workers do not seem to realize that forfeiting their vacation time comes at the expense of their overall health, well-being and relationships,” according to Roger Dow, CEO of the U.S. Travel Association.
We live in a culture where long hours on the job are valued. But human beings aren’t designed to expend energy continuously. Rather, we’re meant to pulse between spending and recovering energy.
Time away allows your body to replenish and repair itself.
Here Are 6 Benefits To Scheduling Your Well-Deserved Vacation:
- A break will allow you to refresh your brain cells and reset your mind. Our brains don’t have energy in reserves, so we need to have down time.
- People who take vacations have lower blood pressure, higher positive emotional levels and less depression
- You’ll get time to reconnect with family and friends
- You’ll de-stress and avoid burnout, making you more creative and productive
- Vacations will lessen the risk of coronary heart disease or heart attacks since working can take a serious toll on your heart.
- People who take vacations have a better outlook on life, and more motivation to achieve goals, according to WebMD.
Vacations don’t have to be 2 weeks in Europe. Just 24 hours away, and you’ll reap the benefits.
A big boost in happiness can also come from planning the vacation. You can feel the effects up to 8 weeks before your trip. Simply having something to look forward to can be rewarding.
So if you’re planning to leave some vacation days on the table this year, open up a travel site and make some reservations. Or just take time off to recharge and reconnect with your own family and friends at home.
Don’t forget to pack some Organic Herbal Tea in your bags. Choose from three delicious blends that each have their own unique benefits such as promoting energy, encouraging relaxation and aiding your body’s natural digestive cleansing.